Russo on Energy LLC is an expert in FERC hydropower licensing. We specialize in advising project developers, investors and federal government dam owners on how to install hydropower at existing non-power dams using the FERC licensing process. In addition, Russo on Energy also works with water utilities and irrigation districts to obtain a FERC exemption from licensing to install up to 40 megawatt turbine/generators on conduits and water supply pipelines.
Congress passed the Hydropower Regulatory Efficiency Act of 2013 and the FERC and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to consolidate reviews and expedite hydropower licensing at Corps dam. At this time, 80,000 dams or 97% of the existing dams do not have hydropower on them. In addition, the North American Energy Security and Infrastructure Act of 2016 (S. 2012 and H.R. 8) has wide bipartisan support for hydropower at existing dams and small conduit projects up to 40 MW and will likely pass early nex year.
Need hydropower training? Tom Russo, our founder, will be the instructor for EUCI's Hydropower 101 and FERC Hydropower 101 training courses in Denver, CO on February 7-8, 2017.
Russo on Energy can assist your company, primary consultants and legal counsel with your hydropower projects. We can also:
- Identify problems- sometimes you may be too close to a problem inside an organization to identify it,
- Supplement your company or consultant's skill sets temporarily,
- Provide objectivity and a fresh viewpoint,
- Teach your company's staff new skills or about new FERC regulations,
- Develop new ideas and an game plan for how to achieve them, and
- Represent you before FERC and other agencies.
Exceptional Expertise in Hydropower
Russo on Energy is thoroughly familiar with the the environmental requirements for hydropower projects required by FERC. The company also has experience with transboundary effects of hydropower between Canada and the U.S. and with cumulative effects in river basins.
As a former FERC regulator, Tom Russo, our founder, is a well respected National Hydropower Expert and former Manager and Senior Energy Industry Analyst at FERC and familiar with the Federal Power Act and associated NEPA regulations. He authored the Energy Chapter of the Handbook of Environmental Assessment by Blackwell Publishing and contributed to the preparation of "Considering Cumulative Effects under the National Environmental Policy Act' by the President's Council for Environmental Quality. Mr. Russo has also advised the World Commission on Dams on best mitigation practices when constructing and operating hydropower projects. He has managed hundreds of environmental assessments of proposed and existing hydropower projects. Tom has worked with hundreds of agencies and NGOs and has an excellent record for getting projects completed often through creative comprehensive settlements that meet the approval of FERC.
Russo on Energy is also familiar with:
- Sections , 4e, 10a and 10j of the Federal Power Act,
- Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act and the Coastal Zone Management Act, and
- Numerous federal statutes dealing with the Endangered Species Act, Wild and Scenic Rivers Act and National Historic Preservation Act
Questions? Contact us or call 703-375-9482.